Thursday, February 5, 2009

First Journal Response


First Journal Response
1. Describe the setting in the novel- Time, Place, and Circumstances. Please use quotations to support your answers.
So far the story is taking place during the 1930s in the meadows and a ranch. The circumstances are that George and Lennie are looking for a job on a ranch
2. Which characters have you been introduced to so far? What are they like? Is there any conflict between characters?
Characters that have been introduced are George, Lennie, the boss, the swamper, Curley, Slim, and Carlson. George is with Lennie most of the time and he tries to help Lennie because he is retarded. George is also a bit mean with Lennie. The boss is a stiff man that is tough and hard to crack. Curley is the boss’s son and always tries to act tough because e is small. Slim is the team leader of the grain team and he has 5 puppies. Carlson is one of the workers. The swamper is a man that lives on the ranch with his old dog. He seems to be nice and funny. Conflicts between the characters are that Curley tries to act all tough when he meets Lennie. Carlson suggests that Slim give one of his puppies to Candy(the swamper) to replace his old dog. Curley is married to girl that flirts with all the other workers.
3. Find a quotation that helps describe each of the characters that you have been introduced to.
George- “If I was a relative of yours I’d shoot myself.”
Lennie- “I wasn’t kicked in the head with no horse, was I, George?”
The boss- “I say what stake you got in this guy? You takin’ his pay away from him?”
Curley- “An’ you won’t let the big guy talk, is that it?”
The swamper- “The old man moved toward the door, and his ancient dog lifted his head and peered about, and then got painfully to his feet and followed”
Slim- “Yeah, five. I kept the biggest.”
Carlson- “The dog of Candy’s is so God damn old he can’t hardly move his head.”

No comments:

Post a Comment